LUCAS Browne admits that the ball is firmly in Dillian Whyte’s court as to whether their proposed clash will go ahead.
Browne, 38, and Whyte, 29, have been slated to meet on March 24th for Whyte’s mandatory status with the WBC as well as for his affiliated regional title at The O2 Arena in London, with both combatants being vocal in calling for the fight to be officially signed off.
“I heard from my promotional team this morning,” said Browne in a press release issued by his management. “They informed me that Eddie Hearn has been in touch and he said that Whyte is in control of the financials. I guess that means there’s a certain amount in the pot for the fight.”
“Apparently Eddie is going to have one last try to get Whyte to move.”
— Lucas Browne (@lucasBrowne) December 30, 2017
There have been a plethora of rumours circulating as to why the fight hasn’t been confirmed, with the bulk speculating a dispute between the camps pertaining to the purse on offer. However, Browne’s long-time manager Matt Clark has refuted such claims, confirming their willingness to accept a fair purse in order to finalise their end of the deal.
“There were rumours on the net that we had been offered $300,000,” added Clark. “I can categorically say that the purse we are asking for is less than that. We want a fair purse for Lucas for what will be an absolute tear up of a fight.”
Browne (25-0, 22 KOs) is hopeful that the potential shoot-out with Whyte (22-1, 16 KOs) will take place, with the Brixton-based heavyweight having the final say on matters.
“I just hope Whyte doesn’t deny the fans this fight,” Browne concluded. “I have an option in the United States that has a lot more money on the table and against a top notch opponent, but coming to London and belting Whyte in front of the fantastic UK crowd is my preferred choice.”
“Let’s hope Dillian isn’t too greedy. I know he’ll be earning more than me, that’s fine. I just want a fair amount and I’ll sign the deal, train, fly over to London and bash him.”