FORMER world champion Sam Soliman plans to end his career with a memorable 2018 campaign.
Soliman (45-14, 19 KOs) continues his journey to cement his legacy as one of Australia’s best when he takes on crafty cross-combat veteran Wes Capper (19-2, 12 KOs) on Saint Patrick’s Day in Melbourne. At stake is the IBF International middleweight bauble, which is a quick pathway to a lofty rating with the America-based sanctioning body.
“This fight is going to be one tough battle of attrition,” Soliman said in a press release issued by his management. “The guy I’m fighting could be me fifteen years ago. We are both former martial arts champions. And like me, Wes has already shown that he is prepared to fight anyone, anywhere in the world to move ahead. I respect that.”
“People say that father time catches up with us all, but for me, not yet.”
“I’m still hungry,” he added. “I’ve made sure that I’ve done the training, along with the discipline, preparation and experience required to make sure that I am in the shape necessary to give my best when I get into the ring. The is now part of my DNA,”
— Aus-Boxing.com (@ausboxing) February 13, 2018
“My support team is sharp and managing my new gym (Sam’s Stable), which has given me a solid base to work from in getting ready for what I know is a pivotal fight at this stage of my career.”
Soliman’s Manager, David Stanley says talks are already afoot for the winner of the fight to take-on Anthony Mundine.
“Mundine was parachuted into Australia’s number one middleweight spot when he fought Tommy Browne for the vacant WBO Oriental title earlier this year,” Stanley said.
“The winner of this fight will have the IBF International belt, which would clearly challenge Mundine’s status,” he concluded. “The opportunity provides extra incentive for both fighters on the night. I know Sam has unfinished business with Mundine.”
Words: Press Release