Horn vs. Crawford finds new date, rescheduled for June 9th Horn vs. Crawford finds new date, rescheduled for June 9th
JEFF Horn’s American debut has found a new home. Reigning WBO welterweight titleholder Jeff Horn will make the second defence of his world championship... Horn vs. Crawford finds new date, rescheduled for June 9th

JEFF Horn’s American debut has found a new home.

Reigning WBO welterweight titleholder Jeff Horn will make the second defence of his world championship against former lightweight champion and former undisputed light welterweight kingpin, Terence Crawford. The pair will finally collide on June 9th at the iconic MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, setting the stage for one of 2018’s best fights on paper.

The Brisbane-based Horn (18-0-1, 12 KOs) stunned the sporting world when he rallied to win a unanimous decision over eight-division world champion and future first ballot Hall of Famer Manny Pacquiao in a nip-and-tuck battle that took place in front of a record-setting crowd of 51,000 at Brisbane’s Suncorp Stadium last July.

Promoted by Top Rank, in association with Duco Events, tickets on-sale and broadcast information for the Crawford vs. Horn world title bout will be announced shortly.

“It’s exciting to see Bud Crawford move up to the welterweight division. In Jeff Horn, he fights a big, rough, tough welterweight who won the title from one of the greats, Manny Pacquiao,” said Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum, founder, and CEO of Top Rank.

“I cannot wait to get back in the ring on June 9 and win the WBO welterweight championship,” added Crawford. “Jeff Horn and his team better be ready because they are going to see a bigger, stronger, and more powerful Terence Crawford. I am going home with that belt.”

“We are excited to be fighting at MGM Grand and attempting to win another world title in a higher weight class, the welterweight division, which is stacked with talent,” said Crawford’s trainer/manager Brian McIntyre. “We are looking forward to fighting a really aggressive and determined fighter in Jeff Horn. June 9 will be another great night for Team Crawford in Las Vegas.”

Despite their initial ill-fated meeting being rescheduled due to an alleged hand injury suffered by Crawford, Horn still heaped praise on his highly regarded opponent.

“Defending the world title successfully a second time is a must,” said Horn. “Crawford is a very talented fighter and deserves his accolades. I will be on a mission to prove the doubters wrong. Obviously, I am a very competitive guy who works really hard to achieve his goals. Crawford is a brilliant boxer, but I am coming to win, and I will win.”

“Crawford’s trash talk has only inspired me that much more to shock the world once again.”

Crawford (32-0, 23 KOs), from Omaha, Nebraska, is coming off a history-making performance by becoming the undisputed light welterweight champion. The 30-year-old defeated the previously unbeaten Julius Indongo in impressive fashion when he blasted the unified WBA and IBF titleholder with a sensational third-round liver shot knockout.

That fight took place last August, in front of a sold-out crowd at the Pinnacle Bank Arena in, Nebraska. With the win over Indongo, Crawford became the first light welterweight to unify all four major world titles, and the third male boxer in history to accomplish that feat, joining Bernard Hopkins and Jermain Taylor.

Horn, also 30, returned to the ring last December, where he successfully defended his world title by halting the durable Gary Corcoran in eleven rounds.

Words: Press Release
Photo: Getty Images