THE biggest challenge in world boxing has fallen in the lap of Jason Moloney.
After weeks of failed negotiations between the camps of unified WBA/IBF bantamweight ruler Naoya Inoue and WBO champion John Riel Casimero (29-4, 20 KOs), the opportunity of a lifetime has been secured by the Australian.
Iconic promoter Bob Arum, who represents both Inoue (19-0, 16 KOs) and Moloney (21-1, 18 KOs) through his company Top Rank, confirmed the mouth-watering collision with ABC Grandstand’s Corbin Middlemas and Ben Cameron today.
“I think Jason Moloney is scheduled this fall to fight against the monster from Japan (Naoya) Inoue,” he told ABC Grandstand.
“Jason is in there with a hell of a shot.”
The interview also provided confirmation of an immediate rematch between former WBA super flyweight titleholder Andrew Moloney (21-1, 14 KOs) and Joshua Franco (17-1-2, 8 KOs), which will serve as a timely boost to the telegenic twins.
“Jason Moloney and Inoue is signed, and (with) Andrew, we exercised the option for Franco’s people,” Arum said.
“We hope that both fights go in November. They’re terrific young men and very good fighters.”
— Corbin Middlemas (@CorbinMiddlemas) August 20, 2020
Arum offered his take on the first meeting in Las Vegas, which ended with the previously unbeaten Australian being handed his first professional blemish in difficult circumstances.
“There are a lot of reasons for the loss (to Franco), nobody wants to make excuses,” Arum explained.
“But he did get a busted eardrum, and that is something that will throw any fighters, and any athlete off his mark. If you get a busted eardrum, and he had it busted in two balances, you don’t have any balance.
“Obviously a fighter with no balance is terribly vulnerable in the ring. That’s what that fight showed.
“I think Andrew has a real shot in the rematch to win back the title… there was a rematch clause, fortunately, so we’re going to rematch that fight.”
Photos: Getty Images