Aus-Boxing.com

Boxing Bits: Mundine-Clottey, Last Man Standing & Brunker signs with Fightcard

 
MUNDINE-CLOTTEY FINDS A NEW DATE
 
THE highly anticipated Mundine vs. Clottey card finally has an official date, being Wednesday April 9th.
 
Mundine’s agent Brendan Bourke received confirmation on Friday that Joshua Clottey, 36, a former IBF welterweight titlist, has finally had his visa approved.
 
“It’s the third time lucky as the fight was set January then fell over because of visa delays. Second time the fight was scheduled for April 2nd, but again visa delays put the fight back one week.” Bourke explained. “However just now the visa was finally approved so we will see Mundine v Clottey in Newcastle April 9th.”
 
The card, promoted by Mundine’s company BOXA, has been stacked with a semi-main event that could potentially steal the show, with leading Australian cruiserweight Brad ‘Hollywood’ Pitt defending his OPBF cruiserweight strap against promising Kiwi prospect David Aloua.
 
The undercard will also showcase some of Australia’s brightest talents, with Czar Amonsot, George Kambosis Jr and Cameron Hammmond amongst others set to make scheduled appearances.
 
Highly touted Indigineous prospect Renold Quinlan will face his toughest test yet when he is challenged by Leroy Brown – who is fresh off a competitive loss to Dennis Hogan.

 
 

‘LAST MAN STANDING’ SET TO MAKE TELEVISION DEBUT
 
EXPECT heavy hits, concussive knockouts and a tonne of action when Australia’s version of the world-reknowned Prizefighter series takes shape in a competition that has been labelled as ‘Last Man Standing’ makes it’s arrival on April 3rd.

 
“The competition is called ‘Last Man Standing’ – it’s based on the hugely successful prizefighter series. Victoria is the only state in Australia where this competition is legal, as it means the fighter fights three times in one night although they won’t breach the twelve rounds limit. New Zealand is now also running the same concept with an eight-man tournament called the ‘Super 8’, so I think this type of action, which gives the fighter’s no time to feel each other out will catch on.”
 
Event promoter Brian Amatruda spoke exclusively to Aus-Boxing about the elimination concept and was excited about the format’s potential – which has received a tonne of attention since being announced.

 
“There will be the a second show, potentially planned for July or August where we will be bringing in international fighters with the same concept,” said Amatruda. “Fans should expect action from the first round. The concept is if it’s a draw after three rounds, then a sudden-victory style fourth round is fought. If it’s still a draw then the winner of the first round is the winner so, they all need to win the first round. There are so many huge guys with punching power, so it will be the best action seen on Fox Sports for many years.”

 
“The prize money is bigger than any of these fighters would get under normal circumstances with the lure of a six-figure pay day in the next series, so the opportunity is there for the fighter’s to impress.”

 
 

BRUNKER SIGNS WITH FIGHTCARD PROMOTIONS
 

TALENTED featherweight ‘Aussie’ Joel Brunker, who signed with Adam Wilcock’s Fightcard Promotions earlier in the year, is currently in training as he prepares to make his debut under his new management and promotional team.
 

“In early January I was approached by Joel’s trainer John Barber. We initially spoke at length on the phone and we then met up in person. It was important for me to ensure that I understood the thoughts of John and Joel, their aspirations and goals. If we didn’t share the same thoughts then we wouldn’t have progressed,” said Wilock in an exclusive interview with Aus-Boxing.
 
“Interstate relationships are always hard, and in a similar relationship to the one I have with Steve, we needed to ensure open and honest communication and a clear expectation of roles and results. Both Joel and John are dedicated to what they want to achieve and that helps. I must acknowledge the great job that Angelo DiCarlo did previously in helping build Joel and positioning him with all four major sanctioning bodies.”
 

Brunker, 28, has been rumoured to be placed in world title fights several times, most notably a challenge against then-reigning WBA featherweight champion Chris John last year. However, that fight fell over and Brunker has since patiently waited for his opportunity. Given his lofty rankings within the governing bodies, it appears to be a matter of time before Brunker gets the call he has waited for his entire career.
 

“Joel is highly placed with both the IBF (#4) and WBO (#4), and FightCard Promotions already has very good relationships with the WBA where Joel is ranked #11.” Wilcock continued.

 
“All three pathways are open to Joel and I’d expect to see him fight at a high level within 2014. In the same way Jarrod did in Monte Carlo, from there I’m sure Joel will prove he can be a major player in the Featherweight division. Having such a solid relationship with my partner in the USA, Greg Cohen, means that we have many more options available internationally for FightCard boxers.”

 
 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

TOP