Aus-Boxing.com

Jason Moloney talks Alvin Bais win, US training camp and more

 
IF Jason Moloney wasn’t a bonafide prospect before his fight with Alvin Bais last Friday night, he certainly is now.

 
Moloney, 24, fought a genuine quality opponent in the upset-minded Filipino, who had previously given some premier names in this region problems.

 
Eighteen months earlier, Bais pushed former world title challenger Tabtimdaeng Na Rachawat twelve rounds.

 
It took Moloney less than two and a half rounds to dispose of Bais.

 
“It was a great fight, it was exactly what I needed,” said Moloney in an exclusive interview with Aus-Boxing. “Obviously with two first round knockouts coming into this, I haven’t really got a good feel for the pro game yet, but we knew he was going to be tough.”

 
“He could definitely fight, he sort of shocked me at first,”

 
Bais, 26, resembled a confident figure throughout his ring walk and introduction. Even in the opening round, he came right at the well-schooled Moloney (now 3-0, 3 KOs), planted his feet and started throwing haymakers.

 
The Filipino (14-5, 3 KOs) appeared to rattle Moloney twice in the opening stanza, but the Australian rebounded well, returning fire with Bais before ending the round firmly in control.

 
“It took me a while to find my rhythm and wake up, he had good hand speed,” continued Moloney.

 
“I really had to just switch on. Once I settled, I felt I was really too strong for him. I landed some good shots and felt his pace began to slow a bit and I ended up getting away with a good knockout.”

 
What appeared to be a lock for fight of the night began to disintegrate when Moloney dropped Bais in the closing seconds of the second round. Although it appeared to be a flash knockdown, the third round proved that is was no fluke as Moloney swarmed over a now clearly dazed Bais.

 
The Filipino hit the canvas on more than one occasion as an eager Moloney appeared to push his opponent down. Bais hit the canvas officially for a second time in the third round and while he appeared fit to continue, referee Jim Boland signalled a premature end to an otherwise evenly matched fight.

 
“I’ll take a lot away from this fight,” explained Moloney. “You can keep having first round knockouts and not take away a lot, but tonight I felt a lot more comfortable in the ring,”

 
“I know I can take a shot and I know I can go with them when it gets tough. I just bite down on the mouth guard and go for it. I was glad to give the crowd what they want and come away with the win.”

 
With the biggest win of his professional career now sealed, Moloney can now focus on his next assignment as he travels across to the US for a training camp next month.

 
“I’m heading over to America in April for a few weeks,” said Moloney in closing. “Looking at getting a feel for it over there,”

 
“I’ll get in some good sparring, then just get back get active and go again. I really would like to have another four or five fights if possible but I’ll leave that to my team.”

 
 
Photo: Marty Camilleri/Marty’s Knockout Photography

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

TOP